Are you hoping to make 2018 a productive and organized year but don’t know how to begin because of so much clutter? Perhaps the holiday mess is holding you back? If you are one of the many DC residents planning to move this year, it’s extra important to start getting your home organized now. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Set realistic goals – A New Year’s resolution to reorganize the kitchen in January has potential. To strive for a complete DIY makeover of a cluttered house in only two weeks—especially when you have a demanding job and busy kids—is doomed for failure. Your home didn’t become cluttered overnight, and it will take time to sift through everything.
- Sort holiday decorations – Get the house back to its pre-December condition before tackling your closets, but take the opportunity to declutter at the same time. While you’re boxing up the tree, get rid of decorations you haven’t used for the past couple of years.
- Do something daily – You don’t want to lose your momentum. Every day, get closer to your goal, even it’s only a small step. Tackle the junk drawer. It’ll take less than half an hour and you’ll feel great!
- Take advantage of sales – January is a good month to shop for storage containers. Get rid of old cardboard boxes and treat yourself to sturdy, stackable containers that look nice, too. Be sure to label them to keep everything organized.
- Donate/trash/keep – Right after the gift-giving season is a perfect time to review your belongings. If you received new winter boots, can you donate the old ones? In a well-organized home, everything has a place. Even a large house can appear to be lacking in storage space if items no longer used accumulate and take up prime closet and drawer space.
- Kill two birds with one stone – January is a great time to declutter your home office. Purge outdated information, archive older essential documents, file loose papers, and gather 2017 tax-related receipts to prep for tax time.
- Know your limits – Give yourself two weeks. If your progress is slow, call in help. Our professional organizers at Potomac Concierge will get the ball rolling quickly and efficiently.
Our experienced staff at Potomac Concierge will help make your New Year’s resolutions come true. Your family will enjoy a perfectly organized home—and potential buyers down the road will take notice, too. Contact us online or call us at (240) 200-4824 today!