When looking for a moving company to help you with a residential or corporate move, Before you have movers do a walk thru ask the following questions;
- Are they registered with USDOT (US Department of Transportation) and what is their number?
- Do they subcontract? Do they have their own truck and do they employ their workers? How are these workers vetted?
- Rates and Estimates – A company estimate must be based on weight if you’re moving long-distances. For short-distances, some companies will charge a per hour rate. Make sure you receive a written estimate.
- Additional fees – Are there extra charges if destination does not have easy access? Will you need shuttle service? How do they charge for awkward items? Will your belongings stay on the truck or be transferred to another truck?
- Insurance – The typical covered is based on 60 cents per pound and is usually not enough to cover the true cost of the damaged item. Additional coverage can be purchased but check with your homeowners insurance for possible for additional coverage.
- Ask for referrals and ask if they have unresolved claims against them.
- Packing – Ask the cost of boxes, how your items will be protected (shrink wrap vs. blankets), how will they be inventoried, labeled and identified.
Too busy to properly select a mover and get an estimate? Call Potomac Concierge 240.205.2529 and we will get as many estimates as you would like from vetted moving companies.