Want to declutter your home? Get rid of the stuff you no longer use and reclaim the space for something useful. A decluttered home will make your life easier, more efficient, happier, and will help attract buyers if you’re planning to sell. Here are some tips to help you through the process:
Declutter Your Home: 10 Tips from Professional Organizers in Chevy Chase, MD
- Start small – If you lack motivation, taking baby steps is key. Be patient now and enjoy a big improvement later.
- Block time – Just like medical appointments, date nights, and kids’s activities, schedule decluttering time on the calendar.
- Ask for help – If you have years’ worth of clutter, and lack the time or the energy, get help; be it the family, a friend or a professional.
- Be ready to let go – Decluttering is laborious, but emotional too. Let go of the past, and evaluate each item vis a vis its value to your life NOW. Let go of the “what-if you may need it ” philosophy and either toss or donate things you no longer use.
- Like with like – Do you have trouble finding things and end up with duplicates? Perhaps it’s because your belongings aren’t grouped and stored by type and usage.
- Stored unused items – Are you an empty nester with bedroom closets filled with your adult children’s things? Store them in the basement or attic.
- Know storage options – Assess what you own in relation to storage space and storage units e.g. closets, shelving, baskets, storage chests, basement/attic/garage, under beds
- measure spaces – Don’t go shopping for storage bins, bookshelves, or filing cabinets before taking precise measurements of the space you have. Return trips to the store waste valuable time.
- Remember computer storage– You don’t need hard copies of everything. If you’ve saved 10 years of bank statements, keep the last year’s worth and shred the rest.
- Maintain the order – Once your home is decluttered, the work doesn’t quite end there. Maintain your organization systems so things don’t get out of control again. e.g. toss expired medications and food every 6 months; complete filing in your home office weekly
Need Help to Declutter Your home in Chevy Chase or Washington, DC?
Are you tired of living in a disorganized home? Do you need to declutter your home? Will you be downsizing soon? Does your home need pre-move staging? If you love the idea of a decluttered home, we are here to help. Our personal organizers can assist in any number of ways – we’ll take the lead role, just get you started, or provide guidance throughout the process.