Spring cleaning is a great idea, but spring home maintenance is a must. Preserve the value of your home, keep your family safe, and prevent annoying problems from arising at the worst time. Here is a helpful checklist.
Indoor Home Maintenance
1) Smoke alarm: Check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Pick a spring day that works every year, like daylight savings (March 11th this year).
2) Plumbing: Check under sinks for leaks. Look at your ceilings for water stains. See if any faucets are dripping. Is the flapper in your toilet tank functioning properly?
3) HVAC: Call your AC technician for a checkup.
4) Chimney: This should be inspected annually and cleaned periodically depending on how often you use it.
5) Fridge: Cleaning behind the refrigerator helps keep it in good, working order.
6) Declutter: Examine each room and toss or donate any winter clothing or items you no longer need or use.
Outdoor Home Maintenance
7) Yard work: Rake up any remaining leaves from the fall. Renew your lawn service contract if you hire someone to maintain your property. If you are a DIYer, think about reseeding and/or fertilizing the lawn, planting perennials, etc.
8) Equipment: Bring the lawnmower in for a tune-up. Store the snow blower after draining the fuel.
9) Trees: Have them inspected for signs of illness or dead branches by a certified arborist. A dead or dying tree is a safety hazard.
10) Gutters: Get them cleaned and prevent a roof leak. Gutters control the flow of water on your house, so you don’t want them clogged.
11) Paint: Exterior paint protects your house from water damage and rot. Look for peeling or chipping paint.
12) Concrete/roof damage: Look for cracks in concrete, such as the driveway and pathways. Check the roof for broken shingles.
13) Trimming: Schedule hedge trimming services before the spring rush hits.
14) Windows: Wash them thoroughly and put away storm windows. A good clean will help to keep them working properly.
15) Patio/deck: Look for signs of cracked wood, loose nails, or stones that need to be replaced. If you have a deck, get it cleaned and treated for summer.
16) Declutter garage: Get rid of the sleds with which your grown children used to play. Donate your inventory of shovels if you have a snow clearing service.
Professional Organizers in MD, DC & Northern VA
Maintaining a home properly year-round is a lot of work! It requires attention to detail, planning ahead, and knowledge of who to call. Of course, there is also the waiting around for help to arrive—plumber, HVAC technician, arborist, and the list goes on. Wouldn’t it be great if you had the time to organize everything and coordinate the vendors for one or two days?
Call Potomac Concierge today, and our experienced professional organizers will take care of the spring maintenance list for your family home. You’ll have peace of mind knowing your house is safe and in good shape for selling if the need arises. Contact us online or call (240) 200-4824 today!