If a decluttered house is one of your 2020 goals, here is some information to help motivate you. Be assured that the challenges are shared by many of us! The two most common causes of clutter are excessive items or a lack of storage space. Here’s a list of eight commonly cluttered rooms and what you can do about them!
Don’t spend another minute stressing over decluttering your home. Whether you are seeking to organize your kitchen, closet, home office, or more, Potomac Concierge can help. Schedule decluttering services in DC today!
1) KITCHEN – This is the busiest spot in most DC homes. Items can accumulate for many reasons and result in clutter. Organization can go a long way when decluttering your kitchen! Follow these simple steps:
2) FAMILY ROOM – This tends to be the second most used room and can be strewn with newspapers, toys, and chargers from everyone’s electronic devices. Having the right furniture, as well as some attractive storage cabinets or baskets, is important. Everything needs a place – books on a bookshelf, and toys, crafts, and electronic paraphernalia hidden in a cabinet or other non-clear storage container.
3) ENTRYWAYS – This is where you’ll find all the school backpacks, reusable grocery bags, shoes, and jackets. Each family member needs a specified space for their belongings in the mudroom or foyer, and must follow preset rules for what is allowed to remain there.
4) DINING ROOM – School projects, mail opening, and toy assembly are among the activities often done here. The problem is that weeks and months can go by with clutter remaining in the space. Set limits for how long something can sit on the dining room table. After, say, one week, each piece of mail should be either in the recycling bin, on your desk for action, or filed away.
5) BEDROOMS – If there isn’t adequate storage for all of your clothes, then out-of-season items must be kept elsewhere (basement, attic, guest room). Use these additional tips to declutter your closet:
6) BATHROOMS – Expired prescriptions and hotel soaps and shampoos can take away valuable space from more important items. Throw away old medicines, consider moving current prescriptions to a nearby linen closet, and donate unopened mini shampoos to a shelter.
7) STUDY – Paper overflow is always a challenge. If you can’t see the desk or the filing cabinet drawers cannot be closed, it’s time to declutter. Shred old documents that are no longer needed, set up a filing system that makes sense for you, and clear the desk every week.
8) GARAGE – Is there no room to park? Pitch or donate everything no longer used. Invest in some good shelving and hooks to get as much off the floor as possible. Remove everything from the garage. Sort and place likes with likes. Set up stations (e.g., gardening, bikes, winter shovels, holiday decorations).
Clutter typically happens slowly. Before long, small items accumulate until you have a daunting task and no time to do it. Potomac Concierge is here to help. Since 2005, we’ve offered professional decluttering services in DC, NOVA, and MD.
If you are anxious to get started but feel overwhelmed, contact Potomac Concierge. Our Professional Organizers will transform your cluttered house into a home where your whole family can relax. We can also set up a maintenance program to ensure your house remains clutter free all year round.