If you’re unsure how much house insurance to purchase or if you’re feeling unprepared in the event of having to make a claim, it’s wise to spend a bit of time now to take an inventory of your belongings. Review the following 6 tips:
1) DO YOUR HOMEWORK – Most insurance companies require homeowners to submit claims with as much detail as possible. Contact your insurer and ask about necessary documentation. Typically, a combination of lists, serial numbers, receipts, and photos satisfy insurers. Items such as art, jewelry, and antiques should be appraised. Please note: Most appraisals are good for three years.
2) DOCUMENT BIG TICKET ITEMS IN DETAIL – Make sure you obtain the make, model, and serial numbers from your TVs, computers, phones and other electronic devices, and major appliances. They will be on the receipt and on the item itself.
3) BE METHODICAL – Throughout your home, take photos or shoot a video of each room. Include contents of drawers and closets and capture materials used such as marble or hardwood. If you have expensive suits, shoes, or purses, be sure to photograph labels.
4) ADD NEW ACQUISITIONS – Set up a system that’s easy to edit. It’s important to add new purchases after the initial inventory is completed.
5) KEEP INVENTORY SECURE – Place your physical lists and photos in a safety deposit box, or store your e-files in a secure space such as the Cloud or Dropbox. You may also want to share the catalog with a close friend or family member.
6) GET HELP – If the task seems daunting or if you lack the time, hire a professional organizer to get you started. In the event you must file a claim, you’ll be thankful for being so well prepared.
While the chance of something happening to your home due to fire, severe storm, or theft is small, it’s wise to make preparations, just in case. It will give you peace of mind and will save money and hassle, should an event occur. Our professional organizers at Potomac Concierge will make sure your entire home is perfectly cataloged and will help you maintain the inventory over time. Call us today!
Our personal assistants do everything from move management to home organization & beyond.Contact Us Today