moving is usually one of the most stressful events in one’s life, ranked as high as the death of a loved one or divorce.
Joe Harrison, president of the American Moving and Storage Association
Amid all the chaos and stress of a move, the last thing you want to worry about is whether your belongings will arrive intact at your new location. Using the correct packing methods can put this fear to rest.
Realty Times has compiled a list of dos and don’ts for packing before a move, such as:
- Pack one room at a time (mark the room name on the box so that it is easier to unpack)
- Try to keep similar items together
- Place heavier items on the bottom and lighter ones on the top
- Put heavy items in smaller boxes so that they are easy to carry
- Use towels or linens in boxes with fragile items (and mark these boxes as “fragile”)
- Pack flammable or heat-sensitive items
- Exceed 50 pounds in each box
- Pack extra liquids, drain yard tools of gas & oil
For professional assistance with your move, including packing, contact The Moving Managers.