14 Must-Dos on Moving Day
Are you anticipating a move? Here are ways to help the big day run smoothly:
- Board Pets: Ask a friend to mind the dog and cat, or board them.
- Guard Valuables: Keep expensive jewelry and important documents (including your move contract) with you.
- Pack Last-Minute Items: Have a small bag ready for everyone’s toothbrush, prescriptions, and clothes for the day.
- Keep Movers Hydrated: It’s nice to offer the crew fresh water and food, especially on hot days.
- Assemble Keys: Make sure you have all keys to the new house (doors, garage, shed, etc), and leave old keys for new residents.
- Arrange Supervision for Kids: Moving day can be a long day, so best to have kids otherwise occupied.
- Keep the Kids Happy: Have children pack their favorite toys in a “special” box, and direct the movers to unload it first.
- Supervise Movers: Make sure they get everything loaded that needs to be loaded and have left what needs to remain.
- Truck Loading: Have movers load items like bedding, bathroom necessities, and kitchen items last so they can be unpacked first.
- Spot-Check Old House: Once van is loaded, do final walk-through. Make sure nothing is left, and check windows, doors, and lights.
- Keep in Contact: Exchange cell phone numbers with movers if you are separated (e.g. en route to new house).
- Check New House: Ensure nothing is broken or missing. Check that all appliances, furnace/AC, and hot water heater are working.
- Make Sure the Moving Van Is Empty: Sometimes little things get missed at the end of a long day.
- Have Tip Money: Tipping the movers is at your discretion. They always appreciate the gesture, so have cash on hand.
Potomac Concierge’s move managers can help with your move. Contact us today.
We help busy people get things done.
Our personal assistants do everything from move management to home organization & beyond.
Contact Us Today